Monday, August 22, 2011

Chapter 3 Controversy & Debate- Are We free Within Society?

In reading the article "Are We Free within Society?" on page 91 I tend to agree with Meads analysis that while we are greatly influenced as individuals be society, we also can rebel against the restraints society tries to put on us and chart our own course through the murky waters of life. Therefore I ascribe to the poem by William Earnest Henley that my parents made us learn when we were young. "Out of the night that covers me,Black as the pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears Looms but the Horror of the shade, And yet the menace of the years Finds and shall find me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,How charged with punishments the scroll, I am the master of my fate:I am the captain of my soul."

No comments:

Post a Comment